SGA moderates an appeals process for students who receive parking tickets

There are a number of different ways to receive a ticket on Georgia Highlands’ campuses.

Security guard and faculty member Tracey Monroe said that students can receive a ticket for things such as parking in reserved spots, speeding on campus grounds and stop sign or yield sign violations. The cost of these fines varies depending on the violation and can range from $25 to $100.

According to John Spranza, director of student life, a student who feels their ticket is unjust has an opportunity to appeal the ticket within seven business days of receiving it.

If the student chooses to appeal the ticket they must request an appeal form from their campus’s safety office.

After the form is filled out, the student should submit the form to their campus’s Student Life coordinator.

When the Student Life coordinator receives the completed appeal form, the ticket is held until the Student Government Association meets.

When the SGA meets, the appeal will then be voted on and will either be approved or denied.

If the appeal is approved, the student will be informed and will no longer have to pay the fine.

If the appeal is denied, the student will be informed and will have to pay the fine or face having a hold put on their record for further enrollment.

President of SGA Lucas Lester said, “Everybody makes honest mistakes sometimes and it’s nice to have an opportunity to explain yourself. The appeals process does just that.”

Spranza said, “A student can attend the SGA meetings to appeal their ticket in person.

If you don’t want to attend the meetings, make sure the appeal form is as detailed as possible.”

If the student doesn’t attend the meeting, the appeal form is the only information the SGA has to determine if the ticket is within policy or not.

With students traveling from classes to the parking lot, Monroe advised, “Please be safe; the life you save might be your own.”

GHC’s restricted parking sign on Floyd campus marks entrance to faculty/staff lot.  Photo by Shannon Francis
GHC’s restricted parking sign on Floyd campus marks entrance to faculty/staff lot.
Photo by Shannon Francis