GHC offers students a chance to study abroad

Brightened Visit to Wittenberg
David Hensley, assistant professor of history, stands with his students on one of GHC’s study abroad trips to Berlin. Contributed Photo

Whether the need to travel runs through one’s veins, or if someone is curious and ready to get out of his or her comfort zone, GHC Study Abroad has a lot to offer students in 2019.

This summer students have the opportunity to go on four trips overseas.

During the week of the Fourth of July holiday, there is a trip planned for Panama so students will not have to miss any school days.

This also allows students to get even more credit courses under their belt in a shorter amount of time.

GHC students and faculty will stay in hotel style housing at the City of Knowledge during their entire stay in Panama. They will be visiting the Panama Canal and touring places like Dell.

Director of Global Initiatives Bronson Long will be assisting and teaching students alongside the trip. Long said, “Study abroad is both an incredible learning experience and a great deal of fun.”

There are two trips on the itinerary for Montepulciano, Italy. The early summer trip dates are May 16 – June 20, and session two will be from June 27 – Aug. 1.

These trips are a part of a study abroad consortium with Kennesaw State University.

Students will live in apartments at La Fortezza, a restored medieval fortress. Montepulciano is also centrally located between Rome and Florence with accessible bus and rail transportation to the rest of Italy.

Students must take two courses, for a total of six or seven credit hours during their stay in Italy.

Professor of History Jayme Feagin will teach History courses and help students on session one, while Assistant Professor of Sociology Christina Wolfe will teach Sociology courses and help students on session two.

The application deadline for this program is Feb. 1.

Also, the European Council will offer students the opportunity to visit the cosmopolitan city of Berlin, Germany.

The Berlin program is structured so that students are in the classroom two days a week, on field trips in the city two days a week, and have three day weekends for enjoying the local life or traveling to other places in Germany and other European countries.

This is a five week program extending from June 27 – July 31. Additionally, students will be able to take one or two 3-credit hour classes.

Assistant Professor of History David Hensley, who went on the Berlin study abroad trip last summer says, “It’s good to prepare for your trip by looking at guidebooks of the city and checking out the local attractions online before hand.”

Hensley will be teaching the history classes on this program and will assist students who go on it.

The deadline for application fee and form is March 15.

For more information on these study abroad experiences and other European Council trips, visit the Georgia Highlands College website.