VP of Student Affairs duties reassigned

Photo from Student Affairs Photos by Sarah Belcher The Cartersville campus hosted the Etowah Scholarship Reality Store for Bartow County high school students. After 15 years of service, Todd Jones will be leaving GHC.

David Patel, Staff Writer

Todd Jones, Vice President of Student Affairs and Floyd Campus Dean, will be leaving after 15 years of service.

Jones joined the staff in 2005 as Director of Admissions, after working in admissions for Berry College for 12 years. He said he is proud of his role in increasing enrollment numbers over the past decade and a half at GHC, citing the fact that student enrollment has nearly doubled since he began working here.

“We’re now the secondlargest state college within the University System of Georgia,” Jones said. Jones recently tendered his resignation, effective in March, and says he plans to “pursue other opportunities” while continuing his career in post-secondary education administration.

According to an email circulated to GHC staff and faculty, the void of duties left in the wake of Jones’ coming departure is being filled by two members of GHC’s administrative staff: Dana Nichols and Mary Transue.

Dana Nichols was appointed Vice President of Academic Affairs in August 2018, and previously worked in that role at Chattanooga State Community.

Mary Transue, who currently serves as GHC’s Vice President of Advancement and is the GHC Foundation’s Executive Director, is also shouldering some of the responsibilities left open in Jones’ absence.

Nichols’ new roles come with new titles, as she is now Provost and Chief Academic Officer of GHC. Some of the things Nichols now oversees include the Registrar, Student Support Services, Veterans Affairs and Student Life,

“which is going to become Student Engagement,” Nichols says. Moving forward, Nichols expressed excitement that growing the Bachelor programs and building more career Associate’s degree curriculum will “not only attract students, but also retain them.”

Nichols added that a financial technology degree program is currently in development. Information about the Georgia FinTech Academy can be found on the GHC website.

Leslie Johnson is in place as Campus Dean for the Cartersville and Paulding sites and Ken Reaves will remain as Marietta Campus Dean.