Green Highlands Paulding chapter helps Georgia to stay green

The Paulding chapter of Green Highlands is preparing for another semester of helping Georgia stay green.

While Green Highlands is present on all campuses, Alex MacMurdo, faculty adviser to Green Highlands, stated, “Due to the nature of the events that we hold it is difficult to work with other campuses, though we all have the same goal in mind.”

According to Austin Wolfschlag, president of Green Highlands Paulding, that goal is to “engage the school and the community on current ecological issues in society.”

Looking forward into 2014, the club is expecting to have a busy semester. Wolfschlag said, “We are currently working on many activities for the spring semester, such as Earth Day, which is the biggest event of the year.” “This year’s theme for Earth Day is ‘Rescuing Nature.’ We are hoping to announce our keynote speaker sometime in late February,” said Wolfschlag

Last year’s event drew a crowd of more than 250 people and featured representation from several corporations and civic leaders from around Georgia. “We will find a way, go big or go home,” Wolfschlag said.

Other activities on the agenda include a school beautification project sponsored by Keep Paulding Beautiful, a planting day, Spring Forward Paulding and the yearly Spring Green trip. MacMurdo stated, “The Spring Green trip is for active members of Green Highlands only, but provides a wonderful opportunity to give back to the community.”

In prior years, Spring Green has featured a trip to the Okefenokee to help clear brush, to Pine Mountain to reclaim land overwhelmed by trash dumping, as well as other service oriented trips.

Meetings will be held the first and third Wednesday of every month. For more information on how to get involved e-mail Wolfschlag at [email protected] .