Cartersville hosts “First LEGO League” tournament

The 2024 “First LEGO League” Robotics Tournament and Showcase was held at the Cartersville site. Thirty-six teams from 16 Bartow County elementary and middle school robotics clubs participated in the March 16 event.

Abigail Henderson
Team members compete with referees overseeing.

The clubs, which offer students the opportunity to immerse themselves in hands-on learning experiences within the realms of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), prepare extensively for the competition.

“They spend months working on their robots and trying to satisfy as many of the missions as they can,” Lead Referee Robert Young said. “To satisfy the missions, there are three dimensions to the competition.”

The Robot Game is the first dimension of the competition, where teams build and program robots using LEGO MINDSTORMS®. These robots, designed to perform specific tasks on a themed course, test the teams’ technical skills.

Next is the Project dimension, which involves teams researching a theme-related real-world problem and creating innovative solutions, testing their research, creativity and presentation skills.

Finally, the Core Values dimension assesses participants on teamwork, sportsmanship and professionalism. It focuses on collaboration, communication and ethics.

“No teams attempt all of the missions,” Young said. “They focus on however many that they feel they can be successful with and usually it is two, three, maybe four.”

Abigail Henderson
Lead referee Robert Young (top right) is seen at a game table.

Sharrryse Henderson and Brandy Rogers, professors in the School of STEM, participated in outreach efforts to find judges and referees. Most judges and referees were professors and students, as well as some industry professionals.

“My task was to train referees on the missions and how to evaluate scores,” Young said. “Before we start each mission, I make sure the boards are reset properly and that the timer is ready.”

As the competition concluded, Provost and Chief Academic Officer Sarah Coakley opened the Awards Ceremony with remarks. Henderson and Erika Walczak, assistant professor of Biology, presented the awards to this year’s champions:

1st: Mission Road Elementary Robo-Cats
2nd: Clear Creek Elementary Team Blaze
3rd: Clear Creek Elementary Chickens of the Round Table

Bartow County Schools gave a special thanks to GHC, stating, “School leaders continuously pour into our students and schools in a BIG way and we are extremely grateful!”