Great American Smokeout to sweep nation in November

great american smoke out
Art by Kenzie Green

The Great American Smokeout is an annual intervention event that occurs every November. The event is sponsored by the American Cancer Society.

Its goal is to challenge people to quit smoking on the day of the event or use the day to make a plan.

This year, the event takes place on Nov. 15. Thousands of smokers across the country will be taking an important step to a healthier life. This event is the gateway to freedom and reduces the risk of cancer.

The American Cancer Society says, “Smoking causes more than 480,000 deaths every year, or about 1 in 5 deaths result in smoking.” Nearly 38 million Americans smoke cigarettes. Therefore, smoking is the largest preventable cause of  death and illness in the world.

The American Cancer Society knows how hard it is to quit smoking. That is why it has provided multiple resources to help people quit.

The American Cancer Society has a hotline that anyone can call for help in stopping smoking. The number is 800-277-2345. Other resources include information on benefits of quitting and how to quit smoking. These resources can be found at www.cancer.org.

GHC is proud to be a tobacco free college. “I think the tobacco free policy is great. Smoking is very unhealthy, and I like knowing the campuses are clean,” said Paulding student Ashley Beavers.