Study abroad in Paris this summer

Contributed by Jeff Brown

David Hensley prepares to teach in Paris.

David Hensley will be teaching two history courses in Paris, France for the summer of 2021 as part of the University System of Georgia’s ‘USG Goes Global’ program which encourages students to travel internationally.

Students of GHC and other USG institutions are invited to apply to travel to Paris as well to study with Hensley and several other professors from Savannah State and Georgia State University.

An exciting trip awaits students who sign up and are approved for departure, such as visiting the Palace of Versailles, the tomb of Napoleon, and the prison Marie Antoinette was held in before her death. There is also a day trip planned to the city of Reims where many French kings were crowned.

Hensley said, “I’m excited for students to experience another culture,” as students will be able to see much of what Paris has to offer, from the renowned cuisine, famous museums, beautiful landmarks, and, as he also shares, an impressive, mass public transport system unseen in the United States.

Despite concerns over the pandemic, Hensley said participation in this program is worthwhile, as virtual classes will be available in the likelihood of a progression of the outbreak. These classes will be offered at a much cheaper tuition, still including guest speakers and virtual tours. He said that much of the precautions we are currently living with are the same in France.

Fellow GHC student, Shannon Adams, said, “ I’m focusing on the positive,” in regards to the Paris trip. She has already submitted her application and deposit to go. She said, “It will help a great deal to be immersed in the French culture,” being
delighted over the classes she is interested in taking and looking forward to the in-depth experience of learning in another country. Regardless of the pandemic, she said she is remaining hopeful and anticipating the opportunity.

Students will be required to participate in two courses over the duration of the trip, which will amount to six credit hours towards a student’s degree. A list of offered classes is available on the program’s website.

Students must also be 18 years or older by the time of departure and be in good academic and disciplinary standing. Financial aid, scholarships and grants are available to students interested, such as the Benjamin A. Gilman scholarship, specifically for study abroad and the James Kent Cooke scholarship.

Hensley said he is available to answer financial aid questions.

Contact David Hensely:
[email protected]
(706) 368-7753

Further information on financial aid for study abroad tips can also be found on the GHC website.