14 fall events happening near campus

Ashley Hall

A wearable Halloween pumpkin decoration sits near the fountain in Downtown Dallas.

Ashley Hall, Editor-in-Chief

The weather is getting cooler and the days are getting shorter, but it’s not quite time to huddle around a fireplace with a mug of hot cocoa. Peek at this list of upcoming fall events to enjoy. 

Scheduled Events

Rome

Ninth Annual Wings Over North Georgia

The Ninth Annual Wings Over North Georgia airshow is Oct. 30 and Oct. 31. 

The air stunt show is back with drive-in style seating at the Richard B. Russell Airport in Rome, GA.

Tickets are $150 per car full in general airfield parking lots A, B, C and D, and $99 in lot E. Online pre-purchase is required, and there are no refunds. 

Airport entry gates will open at 9 a.m. on event days. The event starts at approximately noon.

Guests will be able to walk around the airport to visit food vendors, military vehicle displays,
helicopter rides and the Kids Zone. Performers include the USAF A-10 Demo Team, Greg Koontz Aviation and the USN Blue Angels. 

Address: 304 Russell Field Rd. NE, Rome, GA, 30165

Phone: 706-291-0030

Website, Email

Rome International Film Festival

The Rome International Film Festival is Nov. 11 to 14.

RIFF showcases high-quality filmmaking from around the world. The event is also an opportunity for filmmakers to network.

Passes are $50 for single day, $100 for the film and workshop pass and $150 for the all-access pass. Badges are non-refundable but can be transferred to someone else.

Address: 3 Central Plaza, # 367 Rome, GA, 30161

Phone: 706-204-2295      

Website, Facebook, Email

Cartersville

Downtown Cartersville Ghost Tour

The Downtown Cartersville Ghost Tour is a two-and-a-half mile walking tour of historical downtown Cartersville from Oct. 22-23 and Oct. 29-30. 

The tour starts and ends at the Legion Theater. It starts at 6 p.m. and lasts approximately two hours. Tickets are $18 and pre-registration is required.

The tour will take guests on a journey through the haunted history of downtown Cartersville. Storytellers will tell chilling tales of alleged ghost activity.

Address: 114 West Main St., Cartersville, GA, 30120

Phone: 770-387-2610

Website

Fifth Annual Christmas Village

A Christmas arts and crafts event being held at the Clarence Brown Conference Center in Cartersville. 

Hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday Nov. 5, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday Nov. 6. Tickets are $5 and ticket stubs are valid for both days. 

Owner and Event Coordinator, Karon Mauney, said there will be 70 local vendors. On Saturday, there is a bring-your-own-camera pictures with Santa from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m, and door prize drawings at 4 p.m. Participants do not need to be present to win.

Address: 5450 Highway 20, Cartersville, GA, 30121

Phone: 770-606-5763

Facebook

Native American Heritage Day

Celebrate Native American History Month at the Etowah Indian Mounds Historic Site in Cartersville on Nov. 6 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Learn about the history of Native Americans and their lasting effects on modern times.

Entry is $2 to $6. 

Museum Curator, Keith Bailey, said there will be a 10 a.m. genealogy program and a 1 p.m. lecture on Native American agricultural techniques with speaker Max White, Professor of Anthropology at Piedmont College.

Address: 813 Indian Mound Rd. SE, Cartersville, GA, 30120

Phone: 770-387-3747

Website

Dallas

Shows at the Dallas Theater

The historic Dallas Theater will be hosting multiple movie screenings in the coming weeks. 

“Creepy Classics” is a free double feature of Matilda, rated PG, and Psycho, rated R, on Oct. 30. The shows start at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. respectively. 

A full schedule of all shows is available on the Dallas Theater website

Rental Coordinator, Alana Jefferson, said the Dallas Theater is a fully renovated art-deco styled theater built in the 1940s adjacent to the Dallas Civic Center.

Address: 121 E Griffin St., Dallas, GA, 30132

Phone: 770-445-5180

Website

Tales by Lantern Light

Take one of the five scheduled tours down the hiking trails of Pickett’s Mill Battlefield State Historic Site on Oct. 30 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Entry is $5, with a maximum of 20 people per tour group.

Park Manager, Bobby James, said that park rangers will guide guests down the trails to meet with a storyteller that will share tales of history and lore.

Address: 4432 Mt Tabor Church Rd., Dallas, GA, 30157

Phone: 770-443-7850

Website

Mistletoe Market

A Christmas themed craft fair will be open at the First United Methodist Church on Nov. 13 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. 30 arts and crafts vendors will be selling their goods.

The Children’s Learning Center is sponsoring the event, along with a baked goods table and a silent auction.

Address: 141 East Memorial Dr., Dallas, GA.

Phone: 770-445-2509

Douglasville

Fifth Annual Hunters Fall Festival & Craft Fair

Over 40 craft and food vendors will be set-up at Hunter Memorial Park from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m on Oct. 16.

Everyone is encouraged to dress in costume. Entry is free. 

A children’s play zone with inflatables and other activities has $5 entry, and free for children 3-years-old and under. 

Address: 8830 Gurley Rd., Douglasville, GA, 30134

Phone: 770-920-3007

Website

Midway United Methodist Church Pumpkin Patch

The Midway United Methodist Church Pumpkin Patch will be open with free entry from now until Oct. 31. Operating hours are Monday to Saturday from 10 a.m. to dark and Sunday from 12:30 p.m. to dark. 

Pumpkins and gourds are available to purchase with prices ranging from $2 to $30 depending on size. 

After School Director and Outreach Coordinator, Teresa Morris, said marshmallow roasting will be available every Saturday in October starting at 6 p.m. 

Additionally, the church will host a Fall Bazaar and Fun Run on Oct. 16.

Address: 1950 Midway Rd., Douglasville, GA, 30135

Phone: 678-755-1772

Facebook

Always Available

Tellus Museum, Cartersville

The Tellus Science Museum houses exhibits such as a fossil gallery, a mineral gallery and an observatory. 

Guests can try their hand at digging up their own fossils and gems and gazing at the stars at a scheduled Planetarium show.

Guests can satisfy their hunger at the Tellus Café with offerings such as made-to-order salads and hamburgers, quick snacks, sodas and coffee. 

Scheduled events are available on the Tellus Science Museum website.

Address: 100 Tellus Dr., Cartersville, GA, 30120

Phone: 770-606-5700

Website

Three Strands Winery, Dallas

Three Strands Winery is a local vineyard and winery in the downtown Dallas area. 

Plan a day to stop in and try a wine-tasting flight, finely paired with a charcuterie board. Choose to relax inside the tasting room with a sweet dessert or outside with a wine slushie. 

Food trucks visit the site every Friday through Sunday. Tours of the winery are available on Saturday and Sunday. Space can also be rented for private events.

Address: 1505 Willow Springs Rd., Dallas, GA, 30132

Phone: 470-296-1040

Website

Marietta Farmer’s Market

From 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. every Saturday, Church Street Northwest on the Marietta Square is lined with local vendors offering fresh produce, baked goods, and even homemade kombucha.

Local restaurants and bakeries join in to offer market goers a taste of their full offerings. The variety of vendors goes beyond food.

Address: 65 Church St. NW, Marietta, GA, 30060

Phone: 770-499-9393

Website