Professors deserve more than a thank-you certificate

Abby Chesnut

Thank A Teacher Certificates are available for students to nominate professors to show appreciation. Submitted by students, these certificates serve as a meaningful way to convey to instructors that they are making a positive impact and their dedication is valued and acknowledged. 

The certificates, which include student nominations, are presented to instructors at the end of each semester. Students have the option to keep their identities anonymous. 

The deadline for expressing gratitude to teachers is the final day of exams for the respective semester and certificates will be sent to teachers following a thorough review process.

Students can nominate their instructors on the D2L homepage, or in the weekly student engagement emails.

The submission form can be filled out to send a thank-you message to the teacher separate from the certificate. Students will fill out their name, email, the teacher’s name and a box for their message.

The real question is whether students even know this exists and how else appreciation can be shown.

Professors are faced with such heavy workloads and tackle many thankless tasks. Sending a certificate is not enough and more effort should be put into showing appreciation for teachers.

There are other ways that appreciation can be shown. Maybe there could be a “gratitude wall” on every campus where in some way, students can leave a small message or shout out for their instructors to be on display. It could be changed every month for in-person students to participate in.

However, sending a certificate is an excellent way for online students to show appreciation to professors with whom they can only form virtual bonds.

“I think sending a teacher a thank-you certificate is a good way of showing appreciation to virtual teachers,” Cierra Jackson, a dental hygiene student at the Marietta campus said. 

Online students may feel as though they are too busy juggling school or full-time jobs and thank-you certificates are good enough. Receiving a certificate can be the highlight of a teacher’s week as they tackle their difficult jobs. 

“It honestly makes my day to receive a certificate,” Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene, Tera Phillips said. “As an online instructor, I find it more challenging to build a strong connection with my students and I am constantly looking for more ways to connect.”

When teachers feel valued and appreciated, it can boost their motivation and job satisfaction. This, in turn, can lead to improved teaching and a more positive learning environment. 

Remember to thank your teacher and that expressing gratitude can strengthen the bond between teachers and students, fostering a more supportive learning experience.