GHC’s inaugural baseball season has gotten off to a great start

Gavin Peters heads to third base, passing Cleveland State's infielder and helping start the Chargers' inaugural season. Photo by Antonio Garcia
Gavin Peters heads to third base, passing Cleveland State’s infielder and helping start the Chargers’ inaugural season. Photo by Antonio Garcia
Tyler Elwer pitches at the game against the Cleveland State Cougars. Photo by Antonio Garcia

The GHC Charger baseball team got their inaugural season started on Feb. 2 in a double header against 2-0 Cleveland State.

The first inning started with number 51, John Hood, pitching for GHC. Cleveland State got an early run in the top of the inning.

However, the Chargers did not follow suit leaving the inning 0-1.

The second inning came and went with no change in score. But in the third inning Cleveland scored four runs to bring the score to 0-5. However, the Chargers started to get the bat going with second baseman, Camden McGill, getting the Chargers’ first hit of the game and season.

The score did not pick up until the fourth inning. Although Cleveland State had brought the score to 9-0 at the top of the inning, the Chargers came back swinging in the bottom half. After getting on base early in the fourth, No. 11, Freddie Beamon, stole second base. Then with help from first baseman Chap Lindstrom’s run batted in, the Charger’s brought the score to 2-9.

The score would change once more in the sixth inning, with the Chargers bringing the score up to 3-9. Unfortunately, that would be the end score for the Chargers first home game.

Micheal Marra, Charger baseball coach, spoke of the first game saying that he was happy to get the first game done and thought there were some jitters. However, he said, “The team settled down and had a good finish to the game.”

Marra also mentioned game two against Cleveland saying that they would have to forget about the first loss and “hopefully be able to get the big win in the second one,” and that is exactly what they did.

The Chargers came back in game two and ended up winning the game 8-7.