Georgia Highlands College remembers Carolyn Hamrick and George Pullen

Carolyn Hamrick Photo contributed
Carolyn Hamrick
Photo contributed

Carolyn Hamrick, dean of GHC’s Cartersville campus, passed away on Jan. 25.

Hamrick had been a full-time employee with the college since 1991.She began her association with the college in fall of 1988 as a part-time instructor of developmental reading.

“Ms. Hamrick was the heart of the campus. Her doors were always open. I will sincerely miss her and the Cartersville campus will never be the same.” -Tatiana Smithson, Cartersville student and SGA president.

“Dean Hamrick was an educator, mentor and friend to all who crossed her path at GHC and in the Cartersville community. She was never afraid to stand up for what was right and best for her students, faculty, and staff. She will be greatly missed by all.” -Megan Youngblood, Cartersville student life coordinator.

“Carolyn Hamrick was one of the strongest student advocates and staunchest Georgia Highlands allies. Her 24-yr. teaching and administrative legacy at GHC will live on. I hope this institution will never lose sight of her vision for universal college access and success.” – Renva Watterson, interim president of Georgia Highlands College.

“She was simply amazing! Her ultimate goal was to help people; a student, a faculty member, a HUB person. Whatever it was, she was here for them to help in any way she could. She was the first person you would see at every HUB birthday celebration, at orientation, or a school function with a smile on her face. I don’t know what we will do without our fearless leader and Cartersville campus cheerleader. She is irreplaceable in my eyes.”- Laura Walton, advising specialist.

George Pullen File photo
George Pullen
File photo

Dr. William George Pullen passed away Jan. 31. He was an original faculty member of the college when it opened in 1970 as Floyd Junior College. He was a professor of history. He then became chair of the social science department. He later became chair of the division of extended learning before his retirement in 1997. Pullen also served as chair of the Rome City Commission.

“I had the privilege of knowing Dr. Pullen when he was at the college. He hired me and gave me my start in the world of teaching. His calm, steady guidance was a key piece of my journey. I, like all the other people touched by his influence, can see directly how his presence made life better for this college community.”- Dr. Laura Musselwhite, interim vice president of academic affairs.

“Dr. Pullen’s impact upon this college, this community, and this region is tremendous. When he saw a need, he thoroughly yet efficiently analyzed how he could help meet that need and then he took action. This was true of him as an educator, government official, business owner, citizen and friend. It is cliché to say ‘We owe him a lot,’ yet, how true that is of Dr. Pullen.”- Carla Patterson, associate professor of English.

“I got to know Dr. Pullen better in the years after his retirement. Thanks to his hard work, downtown Rome is thriving. I learned from him that one person who is determined can get a lot done. Georgia Highlands College and the Rome area community owe him more than they will ever realize.”- Jon Hershey, humanities division dean.

View Comments (1)