Frankly my dear, it’s time we give a damn

Have you ever watched a review of a movie or television series that someone rambled on and on about? They talk about what they like about it or what they don’t like about it. I mean, come on, what kind of person just talks about movies? Well, I am that type of person.

I am sure you are probably thinking: “Okay, what is he getting at?” and here it is. Whether you know it or not, films or television series can be a great asset to the world, and I believe that they can act as prescriptions to the ignorant, self-absorbed society that we live in.

You see, I am not your average movie fanatic. I look at every piece of cinema as a chance to learn something new. When visiting a movie theater, I intend to walk out viewing life differently than I did before.

For me, film is a gateway to many different thoughts, emotions and ideas; however, it also has the potential to be a portal to understanding different types of cultures, religions and people. Through fictions, non-fictions, biographies and documentaries, we have the chance to learn something new every single day.

Whether we would like to admit to it or not, learning things outside of our comfort zone is good for us. I believe that film places us in that reality.

Take a second and imagine yourself stepping into a movie theatre. You are now entering a world that is not your own. Here lies an endless number of possibilities. Why? It is a place where you can live the ideas and emotions of others, experience a situation from someone else’s perspective and understand why the person does what he or she does. This is a learning environment like no other.

In every great movie or television show there is always an underlining message in what is happening. It is our job, as an audience, to understand what the storytellers are trying to get across to us.

This does not mean that we have to agree on the same topics, or share the same beliefs, but we need to be able to respect each other enough to listen.

It is time to stop showing ignorance to our neighbors and fear to those we do not know. It is time that we step up and be the people that we say we are. This is one way I believe we could start.

While film and television sometimes open our eyes to false reports and biased storytelling, they also enable us to understand factual styles of life and express our own belief system.

We must learn to love and respect others regardless of religion, race, sex, opinion or orientation. This, I believe, is not “a” way to live, but “the” way to live.

Thank you, and please excuse me while I step off this soapbox.