Ken Weatherman retires from Highlands

For 40 years Ken Weatherman, professor of physical education, frequented the halls of Georgia Highlands College, making him the longest employed faculty member prior to retiring in January.

He hopes to continue teaching part-time rather than full-time, and also believes that he will continue to go on the ski trip for years to come.

Weatherman does not see his retirement as a time to “sit back on the couch” though.

Ken Weatherman shows students how to register to vote on Georgia Highlands College’s Voter Registration day, Jan. 29, 1992. File photo.

“I look at it as changing directions a bit,” Weatherman said.

From six years of full-time teaching to student life coordinator then back to full-time teaching, Weatherman has definitely left his mark on the college’s history.

Weatherman was responsible for coordinating multiple trips including the Alabama Shakespeare Festival, New Year’s Eve in New Orleans and the Sugar Bowl, Washington and Williamsburg, Va. and, the one he is most proud of, the annual skiing/snowboarding trip to N.C.

Of his most memorable moments, Weatherman said, “My relationships with the students…relationships with my colleagues.”

David Mathis, assistant athletics director, stated, “I’m happy for him, but sad for us as a college because I know how much of a dedicated educator he is and how many students he has influenced.”

Renva Watterson, vice president for academic affairs stated, “Dr. Weatherman is a dedicated, thoughtful, courageous man.” She continued, “His tenure at Georgia Highlands College is simply incomparable, and his positive impact will be felt for years to come.”

Weatherman stated, “This is the centerpiece of my adult life, Georgia Highlands College.”