Musician Emily Hearn rocks Floyd campus

Musician Emily Hearn and her husband and singing partner, Michael Harrison, were well received by students on the Floyd campus on Feb. 11. The duo was complimented by several students and received plenty of applause during their performance.

Hearn and Harrison started off the performance with their song “Gotta Have Him.” They performed several of their other songs, including the songs “Without You,” “Volcano” and “The Oak Tree” from their upcoming album, “Hourglass.”

Emily Hearn and her husband, Michael Harrison, performing on Floyd campus. Photo by Jeremy Huskins.

Hannah Kent, an early childhood education major on the Floyd campus, enjoyed the performance very much, saying, “I liked it. I liked their voices and instrumentals, and their harmonies were very good.”

Hearn says she was around 20 years old when she started writing songs, but kept it a secret at first because she would be embarrassed if someone found out. After playing one of her songs for a friend who ended up loving the song, Hearn decided to share her music with others. From there she started playing at various venues.

Hearn says the thing she loves most about her music is that it can evoke emotions about similar situations that others have gone through. She says, “I can describe things I feel and people can relate to that as well. That’s something I really love.”

Hearn started touring four years ago, the first two years mostly doing local performances, and the last two touring around the U.S. She met her husband on Valentine’s Day in 2011. She has been playing music with him ever since, and they have been married for two and a half years now.

For those who want to hear more of Hearn’s work, they can be found on iTunes, her website www.emilyhearn.com, and on her YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/EmmalineFlowers. Her upcoming album, “Hourglass,” will be released Mar. 10.