Medlin’s first home run of the season brings Lady Chargers a victory

The Lady Chargers’ softball team played their first game of the season on Feb. 6, beating Gadsden State 10-4.

Kristen Mullis hits  a ball during the first softball game of the season against Gadsden State Community College. Photo by Shelby Hogland
Kristen Mullis hits a ball during the first softball game of the season against Gadsden State Community College. Photo by Shelby Hogland

Gadsden and GHC played a close game until the third inning when Emily Willingham made her second hit to the fence, helping two Lady Chargers make it home.

Adding two points to the scoreboard, Willingham helped the Chargers take a strong lead with a score of 7-4.

Kayleigh Medlin made two big plays in the game with the first home run of the season in the second inning, followed by a second in the fourth inning.

“It’s early in the season and I’d like to see a cleaner defense, but we were swinging like a seasoned team today,” said Melissa Wood, GHC softball head coach.

Medlin said that she “just wanted to get on base.” She said, “Home runs come when they come, but we had consecutive hits when we needed them so that’s a positive.”

The team went on to beat Gadsden again that day with a final score of 10-2.

The game on Feb. 7 was also a success, with the Lady Chargers beating USC Salk 3-0 in the first game and 8-0 in the second.