Kyvon Davenport receives Player of the Year award

Kyvon Davenport, a sophomore for the GHC Chargers from Gainesville, Ga., recently received the GCAA Conference Player of the Year award for the 2016-17 men’s basketball season.

Davenport received this conference award because he averaged 17.1 points per game, 10.5 rebounds per game and 2.9 blocks per game. In addition to this, Davenport had 20 double-doubles during the regular season.

Davenport was presented his award on March 11 after the NJCAA Region 17 championship game.

Phil Gaffney, Davenport’s head coach, said, “I am very proud of Kyvon winning the Player of the Year award. He is very deserving, and all his hard work has paid off.”

Davenport started playing basketball when he was a freshman at East Hall High School in Gainesville. He said, “I only started playing because of my friends.”

Davenport is finished playing basketball at GHC.

He plans to continue playing at the University of Memphis. He signed with the University of Memphis on April 12.

Gaffney said, “We are equally proud that he will be graduating and moving on to play at the four-year level.”

Davenport received other offers from some other colleges.

Some of the other offers that Davenport received came from East Tennessee State University, Arkansas State University and Tennessee Technological University.

Davenport said that he is undecided in his major.

Davenport said that when he is not playing basketball, he enjoys playing games and watching cartoons.

He also said that, oddly enough, he does not watch basketball games.

Kyvon Davenport receives his GCAA Conference Player of the Year award after the championship game. At the game, Davenport led the Chargers with 27 points and 13 rebounds. Photo by Joshua Mabry