GHC Lady Chargers win first conference home game

Womens basketball game1
Point Guard Ozahria Fisher (1) takes the ball down the court. Cierrah Perdue (23) scored 14 points. Photo by Xavier Freeman
Womens Basketball Game2
Brianna Davis (22) goes for the shot. Davis scored 20 points in this game. Photo by Xavier Freeman

The Lady Chargers defeated Andrew College 89-47 on Nov. 15 for the team’s first conference home game of the season.

At the half, GHC was leading Andrew 44-26. By the end of the third quarter, GHC was leading 66-31, allowing Andrew to score only five additional points from halftime.

Briana Davis and Elizabeth Newberry led the Lady Chargers. Davis had 20 points while Newberry had a double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds.

Brandan Harrell, head women’s basketball coach, said that he is “super proud” of how the Lady Chargers performed during this game. He said, “Our kids really got behind each other. When they weren’t in the game, they were cheering as hard as they could.”

Harrell said that it was great to get off to this kind of start in conference play.

Harrell pointed out that this was the Lady Chargers’ fourth game in seven days. He said, “It’s been a pretty strenuous seven days. It was a good way to end that streak. Now we have a little time to rest, recover and practice.”

Newberry said that she is proud of her team. She said, “No one ever got down on each other, and everyone was uplifting. Even at the beginning of the game, we would get down sometimes, but we kept our heads up and kept playing as a team.”

Newberry said that it looks as if everything is finally coming together for the Lady Chargers.

The Lady Chargers return to action on Nov. 24 as they face Walters State at 8 p.m. as part of the GHC Thanksgiving Classic.