Georgia Highlands Lady Chargers defeat Atlanta Metro State

The GHC Lady Chargers defeated Atlanta Metro State 71-64 on Nov. 29, at home to make their GCAA conference record 3-0 and their overall season record 6-3.

Kateryna Khomenko and Ozahria Fisher led the way for the Lady Chargers the entire game. Khomenko had 18 points and eight rebounds while Fisher had 12 points and 12 assists.

Brandan Harrell, head women’s basketball coach, said that even though his team won, a lot of work has to be done.

Harrell said that during this game, the Lady Chargers displayed inexperience, youthfulness and lack of experience. “If we’re making mistakes but playing hard, that’s okay. When you take the playing hard element out of it and we take plays off, that’s where I have an issue,” he said.

“I’m not sure how we’re going to fix it, but we’ll take the win, try to learn from it and move on,” Harrell said.

Going forward, Harrell said, “We’ve got the toughest game of the year coming up on Saturday on the road. South Georgia Tech is our biggest rival in the conference. I don’t know if we’re ready for that yet.”

Khomenko feels good about her performance in this game. She said that she did her best on offense and defense. Khomenko said, “We didn’t really play together, and that’s something we’ve got to work on.”

Khomenko then stressed that the Lady Chargers are playing conference games. “We’ve got to come back and work on everything we’re lacking on,” said Khomenko.

The Lady Chargers return to action at home on Dec. 6 at 5:30 p.m. against Albany Technical College.