GHC Lady Chargers softball season has entire team excited

The new season for the Lady Chargers softball team has the entire team excited.

According to shortstop Shayla Smith, “There are no concerns going forward. We are really relying on the freshmen this season to make a difference because we don’t have as many sophomores so there will really be competition, but that’s what makes the game better.”

Melissa Wood, head coach, seems just as excited as the players for this upcoming season. “No concerns here! We do have a new player on our roster who transferred from Gardner Webb. We are trying to get everyone adapted and on the same page. We have great sophomores and freshmen,” said Wood.

Wood also mentioned the players who were all-region. Those players include all-region pitcher Micayla McCoy, all-region shortstop Smith and all-region second baseman Hannah Wills.

The Lady Chargers have a tough schedule ahead of them but are ready to take it on and play the way they know they can.

Wood stated, “They put us in the middle of the pack last year; in conference we always have a good winning record. This last year we were 43-13 so they put us in the top division of each tournament, so we are playing a ton of ranked teams and that’s where we want to be.”

Last season, the Lady Chargers were very close to winning the regular season by one game and this year their excitement has them heading in full force ready to win it all.