The Lady Chargers wrap up the 2018-19 season after a loss in the finals against South Georgia Tech

Jessica Eadsforth-Yates shoots a layup. Photo by Catie Sullivan

The GHC Lady Chargers 2018-2019 season came to a close as they lost to South Georgia Technical 77-57 in the NJCAA Region XVII tournment finals in Americus, March 2.

The Lady Chargers finished with a 20-13 overall record and second in the GCAA conference standings with a 15-5 conference record.

According to Brandan Harrell, women’s head coach, “We had some great memories from the year, including one of the greatest comebacks I have ever been a part of in the finals versus Central Georgia Tech. We were down 71-60 with six minutes to go, and we came back to win at the buzzer 80-78.”

The Lady Chargers had multiple players win GCAA accolades throughout and at the end of the season. Freshman forward Jahnarria Brown was named the GCAA Freshman of the Year. Ciara Thompson was named to the first team All-GCAA, and Jessica Eadsforth-Yates garnered second team All-GCAA honors. Thompson and Eadsforth-Yates were also both named to the GCAA All-Tournament Team.

“Playing with the team this year, I could not have asked for a better group of girls. Playing for Coach Harrell has taught me so much. The tight knit of the school and supporters, I have loved every minute of it. I think we faced some adversity and overcame it this season. We ultimately found our identity as a team. I am grateful for the season and everyone that was involved with the team,” said Yates.

“Our kids overcame a lot this season,” said Harrell.

“Injuries, lack of depth, a difficult schedule played a role in how our season played out. In the end, I believe we gave everything we had, we just ran out of gas at the end,” he said.

Jessica Eadsforth-Yates dribbles down the court against Southern Crescent Technical College. Photo by Catie Sullivan