Chargers Basketball pick up key victories

Photos by Brandon Dyer                   Joel Pullen (4) makes his way down the court after a basket.

On March 16, The Lady Chargers women’s basketball team was able to beat Central Georgia Technical College 80-46, while the men’s basketball team won their matchup against East Georgia State College 85-82. Both teams remain atop their division with the regular season winding down.

Led by great defense, the Lady Chargers extend their winning streak to seven and remain in first place in their division. The win was a crucial one for the Lady Chargers as they tried to fend off South Georgia Technical College for the top spot in the GCAA Tournament.

The Chargers were able to start on a hot streak, leading 25-4 at the end of the first quarter. Sophomore Forward Sasha Shishkina scored 11 of the Lady Chargers 24 points in the quarter. Rasheka Simmons was able to grab five rebounds in the quarter to help the Lady Chargers get off to their fast start. As a team, they were able to limit Central Georgia Technical College to just two made field goals while also forcing ten turnovers in the quarter.

Central Georgia Technical College outscored the Lady Chargers 20-16 in the second quarter, but it was not enough to come back against the Lady Chargers. At halftime, the Lady Chargers led 41-24.

Sophomore Guard ShaoTung Lin had four assists in the third quarter to help bring the Lady Chargers lead up to 27 points by the end of the quarter, leading 65-38 going into the fourth quarter. As the fourth quarter winded down, the Lady Chargers were again able to build on their lead, outscoring Central Georgia Technical College 15-8 in the final quarter.

Lin stood out in the game, finishing with eight rebounds and eight assists, nearly getting a double-double in the contest.

At the end of the game, the Lady Chargers out rebounded Central Georgia Technical College 46-31.

hotos by Brandon Dyer                                        The Lady Chargers defense gets ready to defend Central Georgia Technical College on March 20.

After the women’s game ended, it was time for the men’s basketball team to take the court against East Georgia State College.

The Chargers were able to outscore East Georgia State College by one point at halftime, leading 37-36. Sophomore guard, Jarred Rosser, was able to shine for the Chargers in the first half, scoring ten points. Sophomore forward, Langston Wilson, was also able to contribute to the lead with six points to go along with three blocks and three rebounds.

The Chargers tried to pull away in the second half but were unable to build a sizable lead. Wilson continued his performance in the second half, putting up eight points and five rebounds. Sophomore forward, Cahiem Brown, scored nine points in the second half to help the Chargers pull away.
East Georgia State College was able to keep the game close and almost tied the game at the buzzer, but a last second, three point shot attempt did not go in. The Chargers won the game by three points.

The Chargers outscored East Georgia State College 47-45 in the second half. As a team, they accumulated 19 assists, which was 12 more than East Georgia State College had in the game.