GHC partners with RED

Patrick Daniel

RED creates a classroom atmosphere inside the courtroom (like the new Paulding county courthouse) and treats program participants as students rather than criminals.

Patrick Daniel, Staff Writer & Artist

People like Dale Richardson have made sure this partnership will be beneficial to not just RED, but also GHC. (Photo contributed by Dale Richardson )

GHC has partnered with Rehabilitation Enables Dreams (RED) to help those within the criminal justice system.

RED was founded in March 2015 by David Lee Windecher. According to their website, “RED creates a classroom atmosphere inside the courtroom and treats program participants as students rather than criminals.” 

Another goal of the program is to stop “Recidivism,” which is “a person’s tendency to relapse into a previous condition or mode of behavior, especially a relapse into criminal behavior.”

Evan Snelling, GHAME director, said he is thrilled about the opportunities RED can provide these students.

“They have the opportunity to change their life through education and I’m very happy Georgia Highlands can be a part of that,” Snelling said. 

This partnership is brand new, therefore, no students with this program are currently enrolled at GHC. They have partnered with Dekalb and Gwinnett county, with 25 students in each county annually. 

RED works across Georgia with multiple colleges to provide education to those with criminal offenses that are also in jail. (Photo by Patrick Daniel)

“These counties have reached out to us and said that they want more students in the program,” Dale Richardson, RED director of strategic partnerships, said. 

“This partnership with RED is amazing, and fits the goal of Georgia Highlands,” GHC President, Dr. Mike Hobbs, said. 

Those interested can get more information about the program on the RED website.