Students network at Business Mixer

Anna Crusselle
Key representatives in industries such as advertising, investing, healthcare, manufacturing and more participated in what was called “speed rounds.” In the ballroom, students had the chance to sit down with the representatives and ask any questions they might want to know about their area of work.
Anna Crusselle
Guests, students and representatives mingled before the sessions began in the Cartersville Student Center.

The Cartersville Student Center transformed into a hub of potential career paths and networking opportunities with its Student Business Mixer and Networking Event on Nov. 14.

The event was co-hosted by the School of Business & Professional Studies, Career Services and GHC Foundation Trustee Lance Berry.

All students were invited, whether they are actively seeking employment, internships, or simply looking to enhance their job-related skills. 

Students were encouraged to wear a business casual look and bring their resumes and business cards. For those in need of a business casual look, the GHC Clothes Closet was available.

Representatives from diverse sectors such as manufacturing, advertising, banking, healthcare, state labor office, investing, newspapers and property management gave students the chance to engage directly with industry leaders. 

“Listen to the advice; there’s no question that you shouldn’t ask. Whatever you need to know, you’ve got people here willing to answer,” School of Humanities Instructor, Anthony McIntosh said.

Anna Crusselle
GHC Trustee, Lance Berry, talks to students about the importance of using LinkedIn to connect with business leaders when interested in finding a job.

The event unfolded into a structured evening filled with sessions on resume review, job interview etiquette and essential networking strategies. In addition, gift card drawings and refreshments were also available.  

A “speed dating” approach with companies allowed for personal and direct interactions, enabling students to leave a lasting impression on potential employers. 

Anna Crusselle
Digital Media Services Director Jeff Brown set up a backdrop to take photos of attendees who wanted to have professional headshots for their portfolios.

The essence of the mixer extended beyond the immediate search for job placements; it was about equipping future graduates with the tools and confidence needed to excel in the professional world. 

“It arms students for what they need to be successful after graduation,” McIntosh said. “It’s a great resource for students if they take advantage of it.”

As the evening wrapped up, participants departed with new connections, valuable insights and tools to aid in their pursuit of future career opportunities.