Highlands student body as diverse as ever

Highlands student body as diverse as ever

Gene Harmon

The campuses of Georgia Highlands College are spread across northwest Georgia from just outside the perimeter in Marietta to Rome in Floyd County. The enrollment report from the fall 2012 semester shows the student demographics to be as diverse as the communities the college serves.

Out of over 5,500 enrolled students, the highest number of students attending a single campus are at Cartersville instead of in Rome, where the college was founded in 1970. Almost 18 percent are taking web-based or DVD courses.

Two-thirds of students are female and there is almost an even split between full and part-time enrollment. Though 71 percent are white, the other 29 percent vary with different nationalities and backgrounds.

With GHC being considered a local college, it may be surprising to find out there are 88 enrolled from out-of-state and even 24 international students.

The vast majority of those attending GHC are within the freshman class, with only 35 percent listed as being sophomores. This trend is more than likely due to the fact that many students are taking needed core classes before transferring to other colleges in pursuit of their degree.