4 year nursing degree now at Highlands

4 year nursing degree now at Highlands

The newest program to become available to students at Georgia Highlands College is the four-year nursing program. This is the first time a four-year program has been made available at GHC.

The RN-BSN completion program started this fall semester on Aug. 19. It currently has 32 students.

According to Janet Alexander, dean of the health sciences division, there are a limited number of students who can be accepted for the program. Only students who have a high grade point average will be admitted. Charlene Jablonski, administrative assistant for the department of nursing, stated that students must also be CPR certified and have a CPR certification card.

Alexander also said that all of the classes are online and face-to-face classes are not available for this program. This is because most students who are attending are already working, and online classes are more convenient for their busy schedules.

Alexander said that the students who graduate from this program are able to use their degree to move up within a medical organization they are already working for. It can also be used to keep a current job with a medical organization, as requirements to work as a medical professional are increasing.

She also said students who drop out of the program are not common. The students who do drop out only do so because they have other responsibilities that take up their time.

According to Jablonski, tuition costs approximately $1,600 per semester. This does not include the price for textbooks, which will vary depending on the classes being taken.