Sign-ups to begin soon for annual ASF trip

The Alabam Shakespeare Festival Theater in Montgomery is located on a 250-acre landscaped park contributed
The Alabama Shakespeare Festival Theater in Montgomery is located on a 250-acre landscaped park. Photo contributed.

Sign-ups for the annual Georgia Highlands trip to the Alabama Shakespeare Festival will begin Feb.3 in the Student Life offices.

Sign-ups are open to all GHC employees and students, regardless of current classes, grades or major. Participants are also allowed to bring guests with them on the trip, but they will also have to pay.

John Spranza, Floyd campus student life coordinator, said, “The Alabama Shakespeare Festival is a wonderful tradition here at Georgia Highlands and is looked forward to by students, faculty and staff.”

A $50 deposit is expected at the time of sign-up. This deposit will be refundable up until March 3, which is the deadline for signing up. The rest of the money will be due by March 20.

The price of the trip depends on how many people are in a hotel room. The trip fee for four per room will be $95 each, 3 per room will be $100 each, and 2 per room will be $110 each. This will cover lodging along with two meals and tickets for the theater performances.

The main event will feature a world premiere presentation of a modern English version of William Shakespeare’s “Timon of Athens,” one of his lesser known plays, performed by the professional actors of the Alabama Shakespeare Festival. The play deals with themes of human nature, friendship and culture.

Also included is a show at the Faulkner University Dinner Theater, where students will eat prior to enjoying “The Importance of Being Earnest” by Oscar Wilde, a famous 19th century comedy that has received no less than three film adaptations.

In addition to seeing the plays, trip participants will also tour the Rosa Parks Museum and Dr. Martin Luther King’s Parsonage.

Spranza stated, “The trip offers students and employees a great experience at a very affordable price.”

The trip is scheduled for Saturday and Sunday April 26 and 27, with a charter bus departing the GHC Floyd campus Saturday morning.

Students unable to afford the trip can gain financial help by filling out a financial assistance form in the Student Life office. These forms will be due Feb. 18.

Kristie Kemper, professor of English and one of the ASF trip coordinators, stated, “All English classes, along with several other courses are offering extra credit to students who participate.”

Those interested in attending should sign up as quickly as possible. There will be a limit of 55 seats on the tour bus Highlands is chartering for the trip.