Johnson and Davis to assume Cartersville campus leadership after passing of Carolyn Hamrick, Cartersville dean

Multiple people have stepped-up to help run daily operations at the Cartersville campus following the sudden death of Carolyn Hamrick, Cartersville campus dean.

According to Renva Watterson, interim president, Leslie Johnson, associate professor of communication, will fill in to take care of academic-related affairs at Cartersville.

Johnson “will keep her current teaching schedule but will be available for scheduled hours in her office,” stated Watterson.

Johnson said, “I am honored to serve as a resource for my colleagues during this time of transition, and I hope my presence will offer some continuity following the passing of our beloved co-worker and friend, Dean Hamrick. I look forward to the challenges of my new duties. They will allow me to grow professionally and better serve GHC in the future.”

Johnson will be working with Glenda Law, administrative assistant for Cartersville, to make sure everything is functioning in an orderly fashion.

While Johnson handles the academic side, Jeff Davis, vice-president of finance and administration, will handle Cartersville business affairs.

He will be at the Cartersville campus regularly to handle business related matters. Davis will be in room 237. Johnson’s office is in room 235.

Watterson also said that Dr. Laura Musselwhite, interim vice-president of academic affairs, and Todd Jones, vice-president of student affairs, will extend help as needed while continuing in their current positions.

“Carolyn’s main priority was always doing the best job for our students. That is a philosophy that will continue,” said Watterson.

Hamrick died Jan. 25 due to a medical emergency.

Hamrick had been a full-time employee with the college since 1991. She began her association with the college in fall of 1988 as a part-time instructor of developmental reading.