Brother 2 Brother of Georgia Highlands College receives Chapter of the Year award

B2B members accept award at the SAAB Conference.  From left: Caleb McCrary, Roderick Presswood, Demario Blackwell, Qwaunzee Jones and Reggie May. Photo contributed.
B2B members accept award at the SAAB Conference.
From left: Caleb McCrary, Roderick Presswood, Demario Blackwell, Qwaunzee Jones and Reggie May. Photo contributed.

Georgia Highlands’ Brother 2 Brother club recently received the national Outstanding Chapter of the Year award at the Student African American Brotherhood (SAAB) Conference in Detroit, Michigan.

Brother 2 Brother is an organization that is present on all five GHC campuses with over 100 total members. Twenty-three members of GHC’s Brother 2 Brother, along with two advisers, attended the conference in Detroit March 28-30.Roderick Presswood, Douglasville B2B president, went on the trip and said, “My favorite was when they asked how youth could be taught better and more effectively.”

“Outstanding Chapter” is the highest award, and GHC outmatched over 300 other chapters nationwide to take this honor. This is the second time the GHC chapter of B2B has won the award.

Jon Hershey, dean of humanities and Brother 2 Brother adviser, said, “Chapter of the Year is determined by the strength of the enrollment, retention and graduation rates of its members, as well as by the activities and dedication of the chapter during the year.” Presswood stated, “It was a very surprising and humbling feeling.”

Presswood said the best part of the trip was the atmosphere of unity among minority men from across the country. He stated, “It’s very inspiring to anyone who attends that conference to strive to be better.”

Georgia Highlands African American and Minority Male Excellence, GHAME, initiative is part of the University System of Georgia’s African American Male Initiative. GHAME instituted the SAAB program, which then instituted B2B. The mission of B2B and GHAME is to increase the enrollment, retention, progression, and graduation rates of African American and Latino men at GHC.