Dental hygiene program offers services to students and others on Marietta campus

The Georgia Highlands Dental Hygiene Program offers morning and afternoon dental appointments on Mondays and Tuesdays at Heritage Hall.

The Dental Hygiene course is a two year program that consists of one year for prerequisites and one year for the actual clinic.

The program only takes 14 students per year, so there is some competition to get into the program.

Dental hygiene major Kim Radell cleans a patient’s teeth at Georgia Highlands College Heritage Hall. Students and others may make appointments to have teeth cleaned, x-rays taken or deep cleanings done while assisting dental hygiene majors in furthering their knowledge. Photo by Brianna Drake.

The students offer a variety of services including blood pressure, oral cancer screenings, periodontal evaluation, sealants, x-rays, cleaning of dentures and cleaning teeth.

Before the students can clean someone’s teeth, they start out on mannequins. Then they clean each other’s teeth.

Once that is completed they then can schedule actual patients. The students make their own schedules with the patients.

Before people can get their teeth cleaned, they have to call in. The instructors will give the students information and then students can make appointments.

They offer dental services to adults and students three years and older.

The students, beginning summer of 2015, can complete the program and come back to complete their bachelor’s degree if they choose to.

Anyone wanting to make an appointment can call (706) 295-6760.

Some of the costs for these services are $15 extra per tooth for sealants, adult’s regular cleaning and x-rays are $55, deep cleaning and x-rays are $95. For children 12 and under cleaning and x-rays are $35.