GHC study abroad offers Costa Rica, Italy options

GHC students listen to the guide in the jungles of Costa Rica.
GHC students listen to their guide in the jungles of Costa Rica. Contributed photo.

Georgia Highlands College is offering three study abroad opportunities this upcoming year.

The first trip is to Costa Rica and will take place March 27 to April 3. Students will go to the University of Georgia’s Costa Rica campus.

The 15 available slots are currently full, but Bronson Long, director of global Initiatives and study abroad, encourages students who are interested to apply in case a spot opens.

The trip will include horseback riding, zip lining, dancing lessons, a trip to a coffee plantation and a day with a Costa Rican family.

The fee for the trip is $1,836 and is all inclusive. Applications need to be completed by Christmas break.

On June 19, health science majors will be going on a 10-day trip to Costa Rica.

Their activities will be similar to those of the first trip to Costa Rica, but they will also visit local clinics and meet with local doctors, nurses and midwives.

The fee is $1,425, but that does not include airfare. Spots are still open and applications will be accepted until the end of February.

The third trip will be to Montepulciano, Italy, and will take place from June 23 to July 24.

The trip will be through Kennesaw State University. GHC Professor of English and Dean of Humanities Jon Hershey will be going on the trip and teaching classes there.

Students on the Italty trip must take two classes, which will equal six credit hours. There will be two days per week of classes with morning and afternoon sessions. Classes will be held in the medieval fortress La Fortezza. There will be excursions to Rome and Florence, where students will go to places such as the Coliseum and the Uffizi Gallery.

All courses offered will count as GHC class credits. The trip fee of $4750 covers all transportation, lodging, activities and some meals. It does not cover all meals or tuition. Tuition can be covered by financial aid, and students can also apply for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship.

“I think overall the study abroad program is really a life-changing experience, and students typically report it’s one of the best things they did as a college student,” said Long.

“It’s educational, it’ll broaden your horizons, but frankly it’s fun too,” he said.

For more information about any of the study abroad trips, students can contact Bronson Long at [email protected]