GHC to offer 4-year business degrees in fall 2017

GHC students will soon be able to major in new business degrees, starting in fall of 2017. The degrees are Bachelor of Business Administration with a Major in Healthcare Management and Bachelor of Business Administration with a Major in Logistics and Supply Chain Management.

Although the degrees are not available yet, students interested should start on their core classes.

The BBA in Healthcare Management prepares students for careers in the field of healthcare, including Health Information Management, Nursing Management, Rehabilitation Administration and Hospital Administration. According to Alan Nichols, dean of social sciences, business and education, likely jobs for this degree would be in hospitals, clinics or private physicians’ practices. This program builds on the Associate of Science in Business already in place at Highlands.

The BBA in Logistics and Supply Chain Management can prepare students to have careers in Customer Relationship Management, Materials and Warehousing Management and Vendor and Purchasing Logistics Management.

Nichols said, “Given the large industrial base in Bartow County and surrounding areas, we believe that our graduates will fill a need that companies have.” This program builds on the Associate of Science in Business.

The upper division courses of these degrees will be taught primarily in the traditional classroom setting, although some classes may be offered in an online or hybrid format. The junior level courses for these programs will be offered primarily at the Cartersville and Floyd campuses. The senior level classes will be primarily at the Floyd campus for Healthcare Management and the Cartersville campus for Logistics and Supply Chain Management.

Applications for the program will be accepted starting in January of 2017. There are minimum requirements such as an institutional GPA of 2.5. Once in the program, students will have to complete an internship for either program that they are in.

Nichols said, “I think these new degrees will provide good options for students pursuing a business degree who are interested in being part of an industrial or health workforce. Students can now complete this education at GHC.”

For more information, students can speak to any business faculty about these programs.

Some of the business faculty include Bruce Jones at Floyd, Jed Gillespie at Cartersville and Howell Sheffield at Marietta.

For a helpful FAQ sheet on these programs, please email Alan Nichols at [email protected].