SMP wins prestigious awards at GCPA

The Six Mile Post has won the first place award in overall General Excellence for colleges with enrollment under 8,000 in the Georgia College Press Association’s statewide contest. This is the second consecutive win in this category for the SMP.

According to Kristie Kemper, SMP adviser, “This award is hard to win because everyone on the publication staff has to be doing excellent work consistently.”

Second place went to Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College, and third place was awarded to Piedmont College. The other colleges in this division are Berry College, Georgia College and State University, Augusta University, Morehouse College, and SCAD-Atlanta.

The SMP also took first place for Best Campus Community-Sports.

Individual SMP writers and photographers competed with other first and second year students at all Georgia colleges and universities regardless of enrollment.

The Six Mile Post swept the Best Editorial or Feature Photo category in the individual awards.

Daniel Smith placed third with his photo of a spoken-word poet, Taylor Barton took second with her photo of a Costa Rican sunset and Stephanie Corona won first place with her photos of Cartersville Dean Leslie Johnson playing Whiffle ball.

The Six Mile Post won a total of 17 awards, with three first place awards and 14 second or third place awards.

“I am so proud of the staff and all the hard work they do. I’m blown away by how great we’ve done,” said Editor-in-Chief Kayla Jameson.

The annual GCPA press institute and awards luncheon were held Feb. 10 and 11 at Mercer University in Macon.

The press institute featured workshops and networking opportunities for collegiate journalists and was attended by college newspaper staffs from all over Georgia.

Representing the Six Mile Post in addition to Jameson and Kemper were Kacey Neese, Josh Mabry, Margaret Gardner and Lucas Caylor. Assistant Adviser Cindy Wheeler also made the trip to Macon.

Holly Chaney, outgoing GCPA president and a former SMP managing editor, was recognized for her service as president over the past year. Also, Corona was elected vice president of the GCPA.

For a full list of the award categories and winners, click here.2016 GCPA BNC Winners

Back row from left, Lucas Caylor, Kacey Neese, Adviser Cindy Wheeler, Kayla Jameson, Margaret Gardner and Adviser Kristie Kemper along with Joshua Mabry, front, bring home several awards from the GCPA press institute.  Contributed photo
Back row from left, Lucas Caylor, Kacey Neese, Adviser Cindy Wheeler, Kayla Jameson, Margaret Gardner and Adviser Kristie Kemper along with Joshua Mabry, front, bring home several awards from the GCPA press institute.
Contributed photo