Connie Watjen to step down as Dean at Paulding, Douglasville

Connie Watjen, dean of Douglasville and Paulding campuses, will be stepping down as dean to resume teaching English at the Cartersville and Douglasville campuses.

Donald Green, president of Georgia Highlands, said, “Connie decided to move back to faculty.”

Green said Watjens decision to move back to her previous position gave Highlands an opportunity to explore other options involving the organizational structure of leadership on the Paulding and Douglasville campuses.

Green stated that each campus will have a full-time dean that will be able to devote attention to a single campus. Green stated, “We believe this will help the college move forward.”

Watjen said that as the Dean she lost the ability to interact with the students as much as she had previously, something she missed.

To help stay involved with students, Dean Watjen held several events called “Conversations with Connie.”

“I have a message to share with students” Watjen explained. “Too many students feel that when they see someone in leadership, they don’t think they understand the challenges they face,” she said.

Watjen understands. She began college at the age of 28 as a single mother. She has experienced the difficulty of balancing work, school and family life, as well as financial difficulties.

She wants students to know that she understands and wants to support them and help.

Connie Watjen (center)talks with Isaiah Wong(left) and Andrew Buttons. Photo by  Matthew Franklin
Connie Watjen (center)talks with Isaiah Wong(left) and Andrew Buttons. Photo by Matthew Franklin