No more foundational classes in fall of 2018

Room W-304 in the Walraven building at the Floyd campus is one of the classrooms used for foundational classes. Photo by Nick Whitmire

Foundations classes are set to be eliminated fall 2018.

“A student that comes to Highlands and tests into learning support would start with a support class that they would take the same time as their credit level English or Math,” said Dean of Humanities Jon Hershey.

These decisions of change began when the newly appointed Vice Chancellor, Tristan Denley, brought his idea of success to the University System of Georgia.

Melanie Largin, the dean of math, said, “He is coming with the knowledge and success that they have had in the Tennessee System.”

According to Largin, “When we looked at it, having to go two semesters before getting into a credit level class was bogging students down. We don’t want to put a deterrent in front of students. We want to take them straight into the credit level course, but we are going to have to provide a heavy-duty support mechanism underneath them.”

Likewise, associate professor of math Kelly Shane stated, “We will work on getting students tutorial help and make our co-requisite classes more rigorous.”

Shane said, “We are going to have to add more material to our co-requisite classes.”

Upcoming students struggling should try not to worry because Shane said, “We are going to try to make our co-requisite classes even more suited for less prepared students.”

Hershey and Largin both think this will not affect enrollment.

However, Largin said, “Depending on what your Accuplacer score is in math and what your high school GPA is, those kinds of things will place you into a particular class, so that could change where students get placed.”