Spring special topics classes offered on multiple campuses at GHC

head shot #1- Nick Whitmire
John Kwist. Photo by Nick Whitmire

For the students interested in exploring different fields of study, GHC offers a diverse group of special topics classes.

“These courses give us more of a relaxed and fun way to learn about things that are otherwise more formal or difficult to understand,” said assistant professor John Kwist.

Instructors can choose their topic, allowing them to teach on something they are passionate about.

Special topics classes are offered on all campuses and vary campus to campus.

Floyd campus will be offering “Wolves in the American Battleground” by Leslie Terrell-Payne and “The Psychology of the Supreme Court” by Stephanie Wright, in the Social Sciences, Business, and Education Categories.

The Humanities   special class will be “Social Media and Fake News,” taught by Allen Dutch.

In the math division, Floyd is offering “Show Me My Money” by Kathy Young. This course will introduce students to the effect numbers have on the banking and finance decisions they will have to make throughout their lifetime.

The Cartersville campus offers “Draining the Swamp” by  Steve Blankenship, in the GHSS category and “A Book Journey: Utopian vs. Dystopian Society” and  “Tease Your Brain” by Paul Kapitza will be offered.

This course will introduce students to problem solving strategies. They’ll develop their ability to tackle problems using analytical thinking, critical reading and writing, mathematics, and creativity.

Marietta campus will offer “Psychology of Prejudice” by Bentley Gibson, “A Book Journey: Utopian vs. Dystopian Society” and “Tease Your Brain” by Brent Griffin.

On the Douglasville campus, “Persuasion in Advertising” will the offered.

The Paulding campus will have “Team Sports and Critical Thinking.”

There are also many online Special Topics classes for the spring of 2019.

Online classes include “Medical History” by Jayme Feagin, “Introduction to Bullying” by Sherry Green, “Educator Ethics” by  Darrell Sorrells, “Psychology of Women” by Stephanie Wright, “Women in Politics” by Teresa Hutchins, and “Leadership in Popular Culture” by Crystal Edenfield and “Show Me My Money,” by Chris Hart.

They are all two-credit hour, 10-week courses beginning in January and ending mid to late March. A complete list can be found in the “Course Offerings” menu in Banner/Score under “GHC-Special Topics.”