GHC students participate in the 40th annual ski/snowboard trip duringthe winter break

Students who attended the annual ski/snowboard trip received course credit for PHED 1420, which is a two credit hour elective physical education class.  Contributed Photo
Students who attended the annual ski/snowboard trip received course credit for PHED 1420, which is a two credit hour elective physical education class. Contributed Photo

Over winter break students and professors from GHC went on the 40th annual ski/snowboard trip.

The trip ran from Dec. 31 to Jan. 4. Everyone who went on the trip received ski or snowboard instruction from the acclaimed French Swiss Ski College in Appalachian Ski Mountain in Blowing Rock, North Carolina.

Students stayed at the Super 8 Motel in Boone, North C arolina and received full day sessions of skiing or snowboarding, lessons, lift tickets, equipment rental, motel charges and even their course textbook all in their trip fee.

Being able to have gone on a trip while earning credit for school, these students received course credit for PHED 1420, Beginning Snow Skiing and Snowboarding, a 2-hour elective physical education class. Not only will this class help students complete their pathway at GHC, but this course is transferable as a physical education elective to other colleges.

One of the 18 students in particular who attended the trip, Trevor Jenkins, had never been skiing or snowboarding before. He quickly found that it is one of his new favorite things to do.

Jenkins said, “It was hard to learn at first, because it is something new your body and mind are not used to.” But on the second day, he began to pick up on the skill easier as he got more practice. Jenkins also said that he started off the New Year with not only a new skill but also new friends.

Bailey Stilwell, another GHC student, went on the trip already knowing how to snowboard and considering himself an “intermediate/advanced rider.” Even though he went into the trip already knowing a lot about it, Stilwell said, “The lessons were very helpful in teaching me things I had never known or tried before.”

For students considering going on the trip, Professor Reiter “highly recommends students to consider this trip for next year, especially if they need a physical education elective.”

For questions and information on future ski/snowboarding trips, students can email Professor Ken Weatherman. Although he is now retired, he has run the trip from the first year and will continue. His email is [email protected].