Previous Douglasville Brother 2 Brother president now works as a news reporter at Ohio news station

Catie Sullivan

Cleveland, Ohio, news reporter Victor Williams is a GHC alum and was once the Brother 2 Brother President on the Douglasville campus. Williams was born and raised in Atlanta, where he attended Benjamin E. Mays High School in Southwest Atlanta. However he said, “I like to think I grew up in Douglasville.”

He began his education at GHC right after high school. Williams joined Brother 2 Brother and began as a regular member of the organization, but in his second semester at GHC he became vice president of his chapter on the Douglasville campus. At the beginning of Williams’ second year at GHC and second year in the chapter, he became president.

Jon Hershey, dean of humanities and director of Brother 2 Brother said, “Victor always knew he wanted to be a broadcast journalist. He seems like a natural now, but he put a lot of hard work in to learning his craft.”

Williams said, “Brother 2 Brother gave me a band of brothers that held me accountable and kept me in line during my time at GHC. The organization itself skyrocketed me to higher levels. I had the chance to travel to so many places and meet so many people. I wouldn’t be where I am today without B2B.”

After attending GHC, Williams attended Georgia State. Williams has an associate degree in communications, and his bachelor’s in journalism.

According to Williams, being a reporter has always been his dream. Williams said,   “I started pursuing the career in middle school when I was an anchor for our school newscast. From there, I took every chance I could get to be on camera or to speak publicly. In high school I was a reporter for the district’s newscast.”

While at GHC, Williams did several video tours of the campus, and at Georgia State he was a reporter and then an anchor for the campuses newscast. While in Atlanta, Williams became an intern at WSB-TV Atlanta.

His first job in the field he wished to work in was at WBBJ 7 Eyewitness News in Jackson, Tennessee. He then went on to work as a reporter and fill-in anchor for WLOX News in Biloxi, Mississippi. After being at WLOX News, he began his current job as a news reporter in Cleveland, Ohio at WOIO.

Williams said, “My favorite part about my job is probably the adrenaline rush. Every day it’s a different story, and you never know what you may be covering at the beginning of the day.”

Hershey said, “Brother 2 Brother helped Victor by putting him in a leadership position, building his confidence, giving him work experience at Georgia Highlands Television and eventually taking him to Georgia State for a tour.”

According to Williams, he still holds the principles the organization Brother 2 Brother taught him to be true and still embodies them in his life. These principles include accountability, proactive leadership, self-discipline and intellectual development.

Williams wishes to share this advice with GHC students: “Trust yourself and have confidence. With that you can do anything.”