GHC students take a trip to the Atlanta History Center

Stephanie and Alexandra from the Marietta campus experience the interactive barbershop at the Atlanta History Center. Photo by Michelle Hardin

On Friday Oct 11th, students from all five campuses participated in a field trip to the Atlanta History Center organized by Student Life Director John Spranza and Melissa La Fleur. The trip had about twenty participants. Students were able to tour various galleries and learn about folk art, Native American history, golf history and more — all relating to the history of Georgia.

The largest gallery that students toured was the Atlanta gallery, which contains timelines and personal stories of the people who live in the city. Students were able to record their own “Atlanta story” to submit and add to the piece. The gallery included many interactive areas like barbershops and diners staged in classic styles.

There were also installments dedicated to Hispanic heritage, in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15th to October 15th.

The guided tour led students through a 153-year-old Civil War painting called “The Cyclorama.” This panoramic painting is nearly 50 feet tall and has been restored to its original glory by the Atlanta History Center.

“The Cyclorama of The Battle of Atlanta was amazing, a true masterpiece!” said Diandra Adams, a student on the Paulding campus. “The tour guide was knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor. He did an excellent job giving the background of the battle. The Atlanta History Center is definitely a place I will visit again soon. I would love to share this experience with my family.”

GHC students were also able to walk through the gardens behind the museum, which feature multiple outdoor trails and fountains, along with the Swan House.