Paulding Site hosts ethics discussion panel with local community leaders

The Paulding Instructional site hosted its first ethics discussion panel on November 12, during a week of activities that brought awareness to the importance of ethical culture.

The discussion panel consisted of three Paulding community leaders: Terence Corse, who was a U.S. Army soldier, Sargent Ashley Hansen, who works in the Paulding County sheriff’s office and Dr. Richard LaFleur, who works as a psychology professor at the University of West Georgia.

The panelists were asked a variety of questions pertaining to ethics. Gazelle Tucker, one of the hosts of the event, started by asking each person to define ethics.

“Ethics is a great place for law enforcement because we’re oftentimes portrayed in the media in a negative light,” Hansen said. “It goes hand in hand with integrity and my language definition is what you do when no one else is looking.”

Terrence defined ethics as a person’s character.

LaFleur told the audience to dive deeper. “We all have an ethic,” he said. “It’s easy to frame that around what is right and what is wrong and to answer that question.”

LaFleur continued, “We also have to take a step back from what we believe and how we believe and why we believe — so for me ethics is rooted in my beliefs.”

Students were engaged and taking notes while the questions came. One of the last questions to the panel was: why is trust so important in your workplace?

“You want to keep your job, don’t you?” Terrence asked. “A good employee is someone who you can trust”.

LaFleur answered the question by relating to what students know. “I think the essence of trust is, ‘I know you are reliable person,’” he said.

“I know that you are going to do what you say you will do. That’s the basis of trust. If you say you are going to turn that assignment in, when I check my inbox, the assignment should be sitting there.” LaFleur continued.