Winter events happening locally

Ashley Hall

Located in downtown Dallas, the Tin Bucket Mercantile’s “Forever Christmas” displays seasonal knick-knacks and collectibles.

Ashley Hall, Editor-in-Chief

With the spooky season behind us, the holidays continue with Thanksgiving and Christmas just around the corner. Here’s a list of upcoming seasonal events for those who want to indulge in local festivities.

Rome

Turkey Trot

The Turkey Trot is returning to the GHC Floyd Campus on Nov. 17 at 11 a.m. GHC students, faculty and staff are invited to the event, which will follow a course around Paris Lake. There will be food and prizes for participants.

Associate Head Men’s Basketball Coach, Greg Schiefen, is coordinating the event.

Address: 3175 Cedartown Hwy, Rome, GA 30161
Contact: [email protected]

Cartersville

A Country Christmas at Pettit Creek Farms

Pettit Creek Farms will reopen for the Christmas season Thanksgiving night for their Country Christmas event.

Operating hours are 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday to Thursday and Sunday, as well as 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday to Saturday.

Tickets for a drive-thru or a hayride through an over a mile long Christmas light display are available online and at the gate. Prices for the drive-thru are $30 for cars (1-8 people), $35 for vans (9-15 people) and $45 for buses (16-22 people) with an additional $3 for every person over 22 people. Hayrides are $10 per person ages 2 and up.

A variety of other attractions will be featured at this Southern-style Christmas including pictures with Santa at Santa’s Cottage, a nativity and petting zoo and a campfire with s’mores.

Address: 337 Cassville Rd, Cartersville, GA 30120
Contact: 770-386-8688

A Christmas Carol

A stage play of “A Christmas Carol” will be performed at the Legion Theatre in Cartersville from Dec. 3 to 5 and Dec. 10 to 12. The play will begin at 8 p.m. on Dec. 3, 4, 10 and 11 and then 3 p.m. on Dec. 5 and 12. Tickets are $15 to $18.

See the classic tale originally written by Charles Dickens unfold on stage. The play was adapted by Will Brooks.

Address: 114 West Main Street Cartersville, GA 30120
Contact: 770-387-2610

Dallas

Festival of Trees

The Dallas Merchants Association is hosting the annual Festival of Trees from Nov. 26 to Dec. 3. The event will take place at the water fountain near the gazebo clearing in downtown Dallas.

Sponsors that sign-up for the event will decorate their trees to fit a theme. The trees will be on display in the gazebo clearing.

Address: 401 Main St, Dallas, GA 30132
Contact: Dallas Merchants Association on Facebook

Dallas Theatre

The Dallas Theatre will be hosting a number of Christmas events throughout December.

The Atlanta Christmas Extravaganza features the Brett McDonald Band that will be performing widely known Christmas music. It will be on Saturday, Dec. 4 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $25 regular and $23 discounted.

The Nutcracker play will be showing Friday, Dec. 10 at 7 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 11 at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 12 at 3 p.m. Tickets are $14 regularly and $12 discounted.

There will be a free showing of the classic Christmas film “It’s a Wonderful Life” on Friday, Dec. 17 at 7 p.m. It is first come, first serve.

Address: 121 E Griffin St, Dallas, GA 30132
Contact: 770-445-5180

Marietta

Lights of Life

A Christmas light ensemble will be on display at Life University in Marietta from Nov. 25 to Dec. 31.

Open hours are dawn to 9 p.m. from Sunday through Thursday and dawn to 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.

Entry is $10 per car and $20 per bus. Other attractions include a petting zoo, pony rides and train rides.

Address: 1269 Barclay Cir., Marietta, GA 30060
Contact: 800-543-3202

Atlanta Area

Momocon Winterfest

The Atlanta video game and anime convention will be returning with their two-day Winterfest event at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta. Hours are Sat. Dec. 18 at 10 a.m. to Sun. Dec. 19 at 6 p.m. Registration prices are $30 for Saturday, $25 for Sunday and $40 for both days.

This holiday-themed convention will feature special guests and speakers such as voice actors, comic artists and online personalities including Steve Blum and Anairis Quinones. Art and merchandise vendors will be available to visitors. Vendors can register to sell their merchandise at the convention.

Arcades, tabletop games, panels, tournaments and a cosplay contest will also be featured.

Address: 285 Andrew Young International Blvd NW,
Atlanta, GA 30313
Contact: www.momocon.com

Six Flags Holiday in the Park

Six Flags Over Georgia is being decorated with tinsel and candy canes from Nov. 20 to Jan. 6 for Holiday in the Park.

One-day tickets are $39.99 per person and 2022 Season Passes are currently available for $54.99 per person. Parking is $25.

Hot chocolate will be available from food stands throughout the park with the option to purchase a Holiday in the Park souvenir cup for discounted refills.

A train ride hosted by Mrs. Claus will carry visitors around the park through a Christmas light display.

Address: 275 Riverside Pkwy, Austell, GA 30168
Contact: 770-739-3400